The best way to keep the eyeglasses look anew, scratch-free and free of other such damage is cleaning them daily. But then, there’s a right way and the wrong way to perform this clean-up task. The steps below are applicable to cleaning of both eyeglass lenses and frames without inflicting scratches or any other damage whatsoever. Here’s all you need to know!
- Clean your home thoroughly and make sure they’re free of dirt, grime and anything that can transfer to the lens surface. Gently apply a drop of lotion-free soap or dishwashing liquid, massage both sides of the lens, wash with lukewarm water, shake them to remove water droplets, wipe with lint-free, clean cloth.
- Rinse the glasses under the stream of lukewarm water that helps in removing the dirt, dust, debris and other such impurities that otherwise can scratch the lens surface. Avoid hot water as it can damage the lens coating.
- Apply pinch of oil-free dishwashing liquid to the lens. Use only a tiny amount due to high concentration and make sure it’s from a reputable brand as cheap and substandard product can do more harm to the lens than cleaning. Wash with lukewarm water in the end.
- Inspect the lenses carefully to ensure there isn’t the slightest smudge or smear on the surface. In case there are, wipe them with a clean microfiber cloth available easily at general stores and optics shops.
- For single touch and on-the-go cleaning of the lens if they get dirty or streaky when you’re out, individually packaged and pocket-friendly pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes are best that you can dispose after single use. These are wetted with a special eyeglass lens formula which means don’t self-apply any other substitute.
Cleaners & cleaning cloths
- Ophthalmologist in Dubai and various eye care professionals are licensed to sell eyeglass cleaners so you can conveniently buy from them or, visit a local drug store with a prescription. These spray cleaners are handy to keep along when travelling since no one keeps dishwashing liquid and tap water on-the-go.
- If dirt, dust and debris accumulate the eye lenses and you don’t have access to tap water, spray plenty of eyeglass cleaner to wash away the impurities and wipe the lens dry with lens dry. If the lenses are formulated with special anti-reflective coating, be sure to use cleaning products approved only for such lens type.
- Though there isn’t any magic or something else to make the eyeglass scratches go away, the products available are designed to lessen the visibility. These solutions are however waxy substances that can quickly diminish whereas effectiveness depends on the location of the scratches. In addition, such products can smear the lenses having anti-reflective coating. Besides the vision interference and light reflection, scratches also weaken resisting power of the lens. For safety and optimum vision, the best thing to do is purchase a new pair of lens.
There’re times when your glasses require deep clean treatment through ultrasonic cleaning device while replacing those dull nose pads with new ones. Visit an ophthalmologist in Dubai for more.